Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Some Homebrew Reviews

I haven't posted any homebrew tasting notes recently, so I figured I'd throw some out there.

Eagle and Child Mild
I like me a good bitter, hence the reason we made one. The issue is I didn't follow the hop schedule and ended up with an underhopped mild (yes, my fault, Justin had booked by this time). And there's some minerally quality that I'm not quite sure about, but I think has something to do with the extract. Any rate, here's what I had to say about it.

Pours an orange-ish copper with a small, white, fizzy head that dissipates quickly to a small, white film. Nose is off, slight extract twinge with some caramel. Flavor is caramel and mild bread with a surprising dose of bitter. Notes of apple and white grapes as it warms. Finish is dry and after had a bit of extract/mineral twinge to it, which detracts from the flavor a bit. Not bad overall, but there's definitely room for improvement.

Aroma:5 Appearance:2 Taste:5 Palate:3 Overall:11



Jon's Celebes Stout

Jon was gracious enough to share a bottle of his coffee stout. Made with cold pressed Celebes coffee from The Commonplace Coffeehouse, the sweet stout balances the coffee well, or is it the other way around. . . I don't know. Any rate, here are my notes.

Pours black as night with chocolate, frothy head. Nose is all coffee with a touch of sweet chocolate and caramel. Taste is sweet with chocolate and dark fruit, mild raisin with the coffee kicking in towards the end and melding with the bitter well and continuing mildly into the after before giving way to a silky, chocolate flavor. The mouth feel is thin and oily with a mildly watery feel early. This is a tasty stout. I kind of sense some lactose or brown sugar sweetness, but according to Jon, there be no such thing in it. I guess I'm crazy, but we all new that.


Aroma:8 Appearance:3 Taste:7 Palate:3 Overall:16


Cheers,

Dave

No comments: