Monday, June 30, 2008

Revenge of Celebes

It is possible that Dave posted about this beer some time ago... I'm actually pretty sure that he did. However, I just decided to crack Jon's Celebes Stout. I guess it has about 3 months on it now. Here's how it turned out:

Pours a dark black color with a small tan head that disappeared pretty quickly. The aroma was a little bit carbonic to begin with, but after I let it rest for a minute, the sweet coffee really came out. I also got big notes of bitter chocolate, licorice, and a little bit of burnt bitterness. The coffee flavor is very strong, but works with the flavor of the beer, as opposed to covering it up. There is some sweet caramel, anise, and some definite roasted barley flavor. There is a slight sourness to it in the finish. Very dry with a lasting bitterness on the tongue. Not very highly carbonated, and has average body for a stout. A very good brew for a style that is often just overpowering.

I'm very excited to try his Saison when it is done. I got a taste of it last week from secondary and it was magical. This kid knows how to brew. Also, keep an eye out for news on his table wine which he brewed yesterday. As for Muckney, we're waiting on our Missionary Position and Pale Ale in primary so we can brew some more.

Finally, I still have about a half case of the Dark & Mysterious in the basement, so if anyone in the area would like to try it, let me know.

Banzai!
Justin

No comments: