Thursday, November 20, 2008

Russian River Comes to Western PA


I guess that title may be a bit misleading. I guess I should specify, that through trade, I procured one bottle each of Russian River's new-to-bottle West Coast Hop Bombs. Yes, that is right, you're looking at a bottle of Blind Pig IPA and the highly coveted and critically acclaimed Pliny the Elder Imperial IPA.

I have been trying to get my hands on these for a long time, and with that comes a preconceived notion of outright superiority, very similar to the "I wish I dated a supermodel" theorem. This usually leads to disappointment. In this case, though, the River delivered, as expected.

The only previous exposure I've had to RR was through their bottled Belgian-style/sour beers which Justin procured while in San Fran. This brewery is considered to be one of the best in the nation, and unfortunately, isn't readily available in this area.

About the beers? Well, as foreshadowed, both were excellent, and lived up to expectations. The Pliny had an amazingly complex nose for one that focused mainly on hops and was deceivingly quaffable, even if it was a touch lacking in mouth feel as compared to other IIPAs. The Blind Pig was no where near as hoppy, but contributed a fuller mouth feel.

If so inclined, you can check out my Ratings.
Pliny

Blind Pig.



Cheers,

Dave

No comments: