Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The First Steps Toward All Grain

So over the weekend, Justin, Nate and I scoured every hardware, farm supply, value, and surplus store that was open in Indiana, PA in search of parts to build new Mash/Lauter Tuns. We were specifically searching for 10 gallon cylindrical coolers (to no avail) and the corresponding drainage hardware. The latter was easy to find, the former, not so much. This is why I settled for a 48 qt. square cooler. Nate's holding out hope to find the drink cooler.

Unfortunately, it's not built yet. I've run into some hardware issues and need to pick up some additional materials. This would be the reason for a lack of pictures and directions to what I did, both of which will follow upon completion. Until then, the MLT is just a cooler with a hole in it.

Time for a beer.

Cheers,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't settle! There are great prices on coolers on Ebay:

New Coleman 62 Quart Wheeled Xtreme Cooler 5 Day qt

Keep looking!!!

Dave said...

I don't know if it's necessarily settling. From what I can find, the square coolers work as well as anything, and with it being 12 gallons, I should have enough room to do most any 10 gallon batches while still having a proper grain bed depth for 5 gallon batches. I'm not quite to your 20 gallon stage yet, Travis. Nevertheless, there's still much more to do to get this thing in working order. Let's hope we can finish it!